Skip to main content

What I Wish I Knew Before Starting as a Virtual Assistant

 Charging less won’t win you clients, it’ll cost you confidence.”

Starting out as a virtual assistant sounds exciting, but it’s also packed with unknowns. And if I could go back, there’s one thing I wish someone had told me before I began.


In this post, I’m sharing the 7 mindset shifts and practical lessons that changed how I show up in my virtual assistant business, especially as an African VA navigating freelancing, pricing, and confidence. If you're just starting out, these are the things I wish someone had told me.

1. Don’t Undersell Yourself

I get it you're new, unsure, and trying to land your first client. So you charge “just enough” to be considered.
I did that too. And it felt okay… at first.

“My first client paid me less than the price of a pizza per hour and still asked for unlimited edits.”

That’s not humble. That’s unsustainable. Your rate sets the tone for how clients treat you.

Takeaway: Charging low doesn’t make you look eager; it makes you look unsure.

 2. Not Every Client Is the Right Client

The clients who paid me the least asked for the most. Constant WhatsApp pings, no respect for time zones, and “Can you just…” messages at midnight.

That’s when I realized: Low prices often attract high-stress clients.

Takeaway: You’re not desperate. You’re selective, and that’s powerful.

 3. Know the Value You Bring

Even if you're new, you're offering something that helps businesses breathe organization, time, and mental space. That’s not basic. That’s transformational.

“When I started viewing myself as a partner, not a task-doer, I stepped into my worth.”

Takeaway: You’re not just completing tasks, you're driving results.

 4. Define Your Rate Don’t Guess It

I stopped guessing my worth and started calculating it.

  • How many hours can I work?

  • What are my monthly expenses?

  • What do I want to earn?

Then I practiced saying it:

“My rate is $15/hour.”
Even if I was scared. Even if my voice shook.

Takeaway: Say your rate before the world believes it. Then stand behind it.


 5. It’s Okay to Start Small, But Don’t Stay There

Starting out with a few low-paying gigs is okay for learning, confidence-building, and feedback. But don’t get stuck.

“One year later, I was still charging the same as day one, even with more skills, better tools, and stronger client outcomes.”

Takeaway: Let your rates grow with your value. Raise them unapologetically.

 6. Community Matters More Than You Think

Being a VA can feel lonely, but it doesn’t have to be. I found support in VA circles, LinkedIn, and the ALX community. Questions I was scared to ask? Someone else had already faced them.

Takeaway: The smartest VAs aren’t alone. They’re plugged in.

7. Confidence Is a Skill You Build

You don’t wake up confident; you act until it becomes natural. Saying your rate, setting boundaries, and following up with a client, all of it gets easier.

“I practiced my rate in the mirror and to my cat. She never objected.”

Takeaway: Confidence isn’t something you wait for; it’s something you grow into.

If you're just stepping into the VA world, I’m cheering for you.

  • Don’t shrink yourself to fit into small client expectations.
  • Don’t price yourself based on fear.
  • And definitely don’t wait to feel “ready” before you own your value.

Are you a new VA navigating your first steps? Share one thing you’ve learned (or wish you knew) in the comments. Let’s grow together. 
And if you’re ready to hire a virtual assistant who values partnership and results, let’s connect!

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Loneliness as a Freelancer

  Freelancing promises freedom but nobody warned me how loud the silence would be. No traffic. No office drama. No small talk. Just me, my screen, and... my thoughts. When I began my freelance journey, I expected independence but not the quiet that came with it. In this post, I’ll share 5 real-world strategies that helped me reconnect both with others and with myself. Whether you’re feeling the remote work blues or just need a little human energy, these are simple shifts that can make a real difference in your day. 1. Use Your Voice Literally At one point, I realized I had gone an entire day without speaking out loud. Not once. So I started small: reading my to-do list aloud in the morning. Then I sent voice notes to friends instead of texts. I even did quick vocal warm-ups while making tea. It wasn’t about productivity it was about presence. 🗣️ Your voice is part of your identity. Don’t let it go quiet, even if no one else is around. 2. Virtual Coworking Is Underrated I disco...

A Day in My Life as a Virtual Assistant

  “I built my dream job in pajamas with coffee in one hand and Trello in the other.” No traffic. No office gossip. Just meaningful remote work, one virtual task at a time. Curious what it really looks like to work as a virtual assistant ? In this post, I’ll walk you through 7 key parts of my daily routine  from checking emails in bed to wrapping up client calls and sharing the small habits that keep me balanced, focused, and growing. If you're thinking about becoming a VA or wondering what the workday feels like, this behind-the-scenes guide is for you. 1. Morning Mindset Check & Inbox Scan I wake up without an alarm (remote work win!) and do a quick gratitude check-in before anything else. Then... I open my inbox. I know, not the healthiest habit, but seeing what’s waiting helps me mentally prepare for the day. “A rescheduled Zoom, a surprise task, a ‘Can you look into this?’ the inbox sets the vibe.” Takeaway : Own your morning, even if it starts with email. 2. Cal...

How to Protect Yourself in the Digital Age

  “I almost sent $150 to a ‘client’just to prove I was serious about the job.” It was early in my freelancing journey, and the job sounded perfect. Too perfect. Freelancing offers freedom, but it also comes with risks. In this blog, I’ll share 7 practical strategies to help you spot, avoid, and protect yourself from freelance scams. Whether you're a beginner or seasoned remote worker, these tips can save you time, money, and peace of mind. 1. Don’t Pay to Get Paid If a client asks you to buy software , pay for training , or send money upfront , it’s a red flag. “A ‘recruiter’ once told me to pay for onboarding access, thankfully, I paused before clicking send.” Takeaway : Legitimate jobs never require payment to start. 2. Beware of “Too Good to Be True” Offers Scammers love big promises: high pay, minimal work, and immediate hire. “They offered $1,200/week for simple data entry but ghosted after I submitted a ‘sample task.’” Takeaway : Trust your instincts. If it sounds too goo...