Skip to main content

A Day in My Life as a Virtual Assistant

 “I built my dream job in pajamas with coffee in one hand and Trello in the other.”

No traffic. No office gossip. Just meaningful remote work, one virtual task at a time.


Curious what it really looks like to work as a virtual assistant? In this post, I’ll walk you through 7 key parts of my daily routine from checking emails in bed to wrapping up client calls and sharing the small habits that keep me balanced, focused, and growing.

If you're thinking about becoming a VA or wondering what the workday feels like, this behind-the-scenes guide is for you.

1. Morning Mindset Check & Inbox Scan

I wake up without an alarm (remote work win!) and do a quick gratitude check-in before anything else. Then... I open my inbox. I know, not the healthiest habit, but seeing what’s waiting helps me mentally prepare for the day.

“A rescheduled Zoom, a surprise task, a ‘Can you look into this?’ the inbox sets the vibe.”

Takeaway: Own your morning, even if it starts with email.

2. Calendar + Coffee = Clarity

With my coffee in hand, I review Google Calendar and Trello. I block time for client work, admin, and personal learning. I also choose 2–3 must-finish priorities.

“Trello keeps me sane. Google Calendar keeps me focused. Coffee keeps me human.”

Takeaway: A calm mind begins with a clear plan.

3. Deep Work Block (9–12)

This is where the magic happens. I dive into client emails, schedule social posts, update CRMs, or research for blog content. Music on. Notifications off. I'm in the zone.

“I call it flow time, it’s when I'm most creative and productive.”

Takeaway: Protect your deep work window like it’s gold.

4. Lunch & Movement Reset

I step away, completely laptop. Maybe I stretch, walk outside, or toss in laundry. Working from home doesn’t always mean working.

“Breaks are non-negotiable now. Burnout isn’t part of the plan.”

Takeaway: Rest is part of the workflow, not a reward for finishing it.

5. Afternoon Client Calls & Check-Ins

Most days, this is when I touch base with clients. Quick Zooms or update emails on how tasks are going, what’s next, or what needs adjusting.

“Client: ‘Can you reshuffle priorities for tomorrow?’ Me: ‘Already done.’”

Takeaway: Clear communication keeps you reliable and respected.

6. Reflect, Log, and Prep for Tomorrow

I update my Trello boards, jot down what’s incomplete, and mentally note how the day felt. Did I rush? Did I feel in control? I adjust accordingly.

“Reflection isn’t extra, it’s how I grow.”

Takeaway: Progress lives in reflection, not perfection.

7. Embrace the Imperfect, Celebrate the Progress

No day is ever “perfect,” but each one builds confidence, client trust, and skill. I remind myself that this is the life I once dreamed of: remote, real, and growing every day.

“From inboxes to impact one virtual task at a time.”

Takeaway: Done is better than perfect. Growth is the goal.



Starting as a VA might feel awkward at first, but it’s also full of freedom, flexibility, and fulfillment.

You’ll learn. You’ll adapt. And one day, you’ll look around and realize:
You’re building your dream life one digital task at a time.

Thinking about becoming a virtual assistant or just getting started?
💬 Drop a comment: What part of this routine resonates with your work style?

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Loneliness as a Freelancer

  Freelancing promises freedom but nobody warned me how loud the silence would be. No traffic. No office drama. No small talk. Just me, my screen, and... my thoughts. When I began my freelance journey, I expected independence but not the quiet that came with it. In this post, I’ll share 5 real-world strategies that helped me reconnect both with others and with myself. Whether you’re feeling the remote work blues or just need a little human energy, these are simple shifts that can make a real difference in your day. 1. Use Your Voice Literally At one point, I realized I had gone an entire day without speaking out loud. Not once. So I started small: reading my to-do list aloud in the morning. Then I sent voice notes to friends instead of texts. I even did quick vocal warm-ups while making tea. It wasn’t about productivity it was about presence. 🗣️ Your voice is part of your identity. Don’t let it go quiet, even if no one else is around. 2. Virtual Coworking Is Underrated I disco...

How to Protect Yourself in the Digital Age

  “I almost sent $150 to a ‘client’just to prove I was serious about the job.” It was early in my freelancing journey, and the job sounded perfect. Too perfect. Freelancing offers freedom, but it also comes with risks. In this blog, I’ll share 7 practical strategies to help you spot, avoid, and protect yourself from freelance scams. Whether you're a beginner or seasoned remote worker, these tips can save you time, money, and peace of mind. 1. Don’t Pay to Get Paid If a client asks you to buy software , pay for training , or send money upfront , it’s a red flag. “A ‘recruiter’ once told me to pay for onboarding access, thankfully, I paused before clicking send.” Takeaway : Legitimate jobs never require payment to start. 2. Beware of “Too Good to Be True” Offers Scammers love big promises: high pay, minimal work, and immediate hire. “They offered $1,200/week for simple data entry but ghosted after I submitted a ‘sample task.’” Takeaway : Trust your instincts. If it sounds too goo...