Skip to main content

Dealing with Loneliness as a Freelancer

 Freelancing promises freedom but nobody warned me how loud the silence would be.

No traffic. No office drama. No small talk. Just me, my screen, and... my thoughts.

When I began my freelance journey, I expected independence but not the quiet that came with it. In this post, I’ll share 5 real-world strategies that helped me reconnect both with others and with myself. Whether you’re feeling the remote work blues or just need a little human energy, these are simple shifts that can make a real difference in your day.

1. Use Your Voice Literally


At one point, I realized I had gone an entire day without speaking out loud. Not once.

So I started small: reading my to-do list aloud in the morning. Then I sent voice notes to friends instead of texts. I even did quick vocal warm-ups while making tea. It wasn’t about productivity it was about presence.

🗣️ Your voice is part of your identity. Don’t let it go quiet, even if no one else is around.

2. Virtual Coworking Is Underrated

I discovered ALX’s virtual coworking rooms and it changed everything. No talking. No pressure. Just shared energy from others working, too. That simple feeling of being seen, even in silence, helped me focus better and feel less isolated.

🌍 There are global coworking Zoom spaces too. Try one it’s like working with a quiet team, from anywhere.

3. Add “Social Bookends” to Your Day

I now bookend my workday with connection. A 10-minute voice chat with a friend before I start. A check-in call with another freelancer after I close my laptop.

These light rituals add warmth to an otherwise silent workday.

📞 Even one real voice a day can remind you: you’re not alone in this.

4. Be a Voice, Not Just a Viewer

Scrolling through LinkedIn or Upwork forums silently made me feel more distant. But when I started commenting, sharing tips, or posting little updates, I made actual connections.

💬 The more you show up and speak up, the more your community grows digitally and emotionally.

5. Talk to Yourself With Kindness

Yes, I talk to myself and it helps.
“You’re doing great.”
“That reply was thoughtful.”
“Let’s stretch for 2 minutes.”

Positive self-talk makes a huge difference when no one else is around to say it for you.

🪞 Be your own cheerleader. Your words matter, even when you’re the only one hearing them.

Loneliness may knock but it doesn’t have to move in.

You can build community from your kitchen table. You can feel connection through a screen. And most of all, you can rediscover your voice and let it carry you forward.

🔔 Have you ever felt this way while freelancing? What helps you reconnect?
👇 Drop a comment, or better yet. Let’s not just scroll let’s speak.
Because behind every screen is a voice that deserves to be heard.

#RemoteWork #Freelancing #VirtualAssistantLife #MentalHealthMatters #ConnectionMatters

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in My Life as a Virtual Assistant

  “I built my dream job in pajamas with coffee in one hand and Trello in the other.” No traffic. No office gossip. Just meaningful remote work, one virtual task at a time. Curious what it really looks like to work as a virtual assistant ? In this post, I’ll walk you through 7 key parts of my daily routine  from checking emails in bed to wrapping up client calls and sharing the small habits that keep me balanced, focused, and growing. If you're thinking about becoming a VA or wondering what the workday feels like, this behind-the-scenes guide is for you. 1. Morning Mindset Check & Inbox Scan I wake up without an alarm (remote work win!) and do a quick gratitude check-in before anything else. Then... I open my inbox. I know, not the healthiest habit, but seeing what’s waiting helps me mentally prepare for the day. “A rescheduled Zoom, a surprise task, a ‘Can you look into this?’ the inbox sets the vibe.” Takeaway : Own your morning, even if it starts with email. 2. Cal...

How to Protect Yourself in the Digital Age

  “I almost sent $150 to a ‘client’just to prove I was serious about the job.” It was early in my freelancing journey, and the job sounded perfect. Too perfect. Freelancing offers freedom, but it also comes with risks. In this blog, I’ll share 7 practical strategies to help you spot, avoid, and protect yourself from freelance scams. Whether you're a beginner or seasoned remote worker, these tips can save you time, money, and peace of mind. 1. Don’t Pay to Get Paid If a client asks you to buy software , pay for training , or send money upfront , it’s a red flag. “A ‘recruiter’ once told me to pay for onboarding access, thankfully, I paused before clicking send.” Takeaway : Legitimate jobs never require payment to start. 2. Beware of “Too Good to Be True” Offers Scammers love big promises: high pay, minimal work, and immediate hire. “They offered $1,200/week for simple data entry but ghosted after I submitted a ‘sample task.’” Takeaway : Trust your instincts. If it sounds too goo...